At the North Portland Wellness Center, our skilled massage therapists are experienced, effective body workers. Each massage therapist at the Wellness Center has the experience to treat your acute or chronic pain, sports, work-related or motor vehicle injury while maintaining their own unique style. We offer massage appointments in Portland 6 days a week, and accept most insurance plans.
These are some of the known benefits of receiving regular bodywork treatments:
- Alleviates pain and improves range of motion.
- Helps athletes of any level prepare for and recover from strenuous workouts.
- Enhances immunity by stimulating lymph flow—the body’s natural defense system.
- Relaxes and softens injured, tired, and overused muscles.
- Reduces spasms and cramping.
- Reduces post-surgery adhesions and swelling.
- Exercises and stretches weak, tight, or atrophied muscles.
- Increases joint flexibility.
- Lessens depression and anxiety
- Releases endorphins—amino acids that work as the body’s natural painkiller.
- Promotes tissue regeneration, reducing scar tissue and stretch marks.
- Improves the condition of the body’s largest organ—the skin.
- Pumps oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs, improving circulation.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
Before your first massage, you will need to complete paperwork. Please complete before your appointment or come 20-30 minutes early to complete it. Your therapist will review the form and conduct a brief interview, asking a few questions about your medical history and any preferences you may have in relation to your treatment.
After the interview, your therapist will leave the treatment room while you disrobe and get comfortable on the massage table, where you will lay under a sheet (and a blanket if you wish). During the treatment, you will remain fully covered except for the area of your body being treated at any given time. You are always encouraged to communicate with the therapist about ways s/he can ensure your comfort and that the massage is meeting your needs. If, for example, you prefer lighter or heavier pressure in different areas of the body than what they are applying, please let them know.
After the treatment, your therapist will leave the room while you dress. When they re-enter the room, we encourage patients to share any feedback they may have that would improve their experience of future treatments. Before completing your session, the therapist will make notes for future reference and may suggest stretches or offer other simple recommendations for self-care.